Carolyn LaWell – May 2017
EPOSNA 2017, the combined annual meeting of the European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society and Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America, served as an unveiling for new products, brands and companies as a focus on this niche market is drawing in device companies.
Two dozen device, bracing and pharmaceutical companies exhibited at EPOSNA in early May. The way Nick A. Deeter tells it, a decade ago there were three at the North American meeting: OrthoPediatrics (the company that Deeter founded in 2006), Biomet and Smith & Nephew. Attending EPOSNA with WishBone Medical, the pediatric company he founded earlier this year, Deeter said that he believes the pediatric segment is ripe for growth. For one, there is demand. WishBone estimates the market at $1.4 billion, growing at 10% per year. Two, it is one of the few areas in orthopaedics that has yet to gain attention from device companies—though our tracking of announcements in the space suggests that could be changing.
Here’s what’s happened just since 4Q16:
- Implanet received global regulatory clearance for Jazz Frame connectors for use with the JAZZ Band in the treatment of adult and pediatric spinal deformity.
- Materialise gained FDA clearance for Surgicase Orthopaedics to assist in pre-op planning for pediatric patients undergoing radius and ulna osteotomies.
- Medicrea received FDA clearance of specialized posterior fixation and band connector components.
- Mighty Oak Medical obtained FDA clearance for 3D-printed FIREFLY Pedicle Screw Navigation Guides, reported to be the only patient-specific pedicle screw guide indicated for use in pediatric patients.
- NuVasive announced that it’s building up a salesforce for exclusive focus on pediatrics to promote its MAGEC rod for early onset scoliosis and PRECICE technology for limb lengthening.
- Onkos Surgical, focused on the adult and pediatric surgical oncology market, received its first FDA 510(k) for the Eleos Limb Salvage System.
- Orthofix launched JuniOrtho, a new brand to house services (apps, games, education tools) and products that treat pediatric orthopaedic and congenital deformities, including the TL HEX TrueLok Hexapod system and Guided Growth plates.
- OrthoPediatrics, a solely-focused pediatric ortho company, launched a new distal femoral osteotomy system.
- WishBone Medical formed and announced planned launch of single use, disposable implants and instruments for foot and ankle, trauma, spine and sports medicine indications.