BURLINGTON, Mass., July 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Decision Resources Group finds that the sports medicine device market in Europe will continue to be hindered in the near term by unfavorable economic conditions across the Eurozone. On a longer timeline, however, the outlook is improved. Expanding populations of the elderly, obese, and physically active will increase the prevalence of osteoarthritic damage and sports-related injuries that require treatment via arthroscopy devices and orthopedic soft tissue solutions. Coupled with continuing economic recovery across Europe, market growth will reach a moderate level by 2023 with total revenues approaching $900 million in that year.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group’s Medtech 360 sports medicine device reports:
- The recent launch of additional all-suture anchor devices, including Cayenne Medical’s SureLock and Smith & Nephew’s Q-FIX systems, contributes to strong ongoing penetration of this product segment into the overall shoulder fixation space.
- The sale of devices used in non-knee arthroscopy procedures, such as cannula and pump tubing units, represent an important driver of arthroscopy device revenues, especially as procedure volume growth for the shoulder and hip continues to outpace that of the knee.
- The combined influence of persistent economic uncertainty and expanding group purchasing organizations is responsible for considerable downward pricing pressure across Europe. However, the penetration of innovative and premium-priced products—such as hybrid meniscal repair devices and bipolar radiofrequency probes—mitigates ASP declines to some extent.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Valentina Lim:
- “Regenerative medicine is increasingly described as an important pillar in the future of sports medicine. High interest in regenerative options is reflected by persistent focus on the topic at major industry conferences, such as the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) annual meeting. We’ve also seen strong growth associated with existing treatments of this type, such as autologous chondrocyte implantation for the repair of cartilage defects.”
Comments from Decision Resources Group Principal Analyst Brady Baker:
- “The European sports medicine space continues to be dominated by large, multinational competitors entrenched in both the arthroscopy and orthopedic soft tissue solution device markets. Companies offering broad product portfolios increasingly look to play the role of ‘one-stop shop’ for health care facilities—a position which allows them to compete strongly on price and bundle smaller competitors out of the market.”
- Valentina Lim and Xi Chen recently authored the European Markets for Sports Medicine Devices 2015 report. Valentina also wrote a blogpost from the recent AOSSM conference, which can be found here.
For more information on purchasing this report, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value data, analytics and insights products and services to the healthcare industry, delivered by more than 700 employees across 15 global locations. DRG companies provide the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, financial services and payer industries with the tools, insights and advice they need to compete and thrive in an increasingly complex and value-based marketplace. DecisionResourcesGroup.com.