Recently, there has been a shift in the industry for more manufacturers to provide high quality, “clinically equivalent” products that focus on providing value to the healthcare system and its payors. With this in mind, we kept an eye out for service and cost focused companies this year at AAOS. One company we noticed having a direct focus on the relationship between the spine surgeon and their distribution partner was Spineway USA. Spineway USA presents themselves as a frontrunner in this group of service forward, financially affordable manufacturers. Jon Luedke, President and CEO was kind enough to discuss this new business model with us.
Jon, thank you for your time today. Would you please give us a brief overview of your career and how you got involved with Spineway USA?
I have over 20 years of experience in the US medical device industry. Holding progressive senior level roles in sales, marketing, and commercialization at Zimmer Spine, Centinel Spine, Wenzel Spine, and most recently Prosidyan which the exclusive distribution rights were acquired by DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson company) in June 2018. As a result, I was approached with the opportunity to join and subsequently lead and direct Spineway USA, Inc., as President & CEO. Spineway USA, Inc., is principal subsidiary of Spineway, SA a French based publicly traded company that treats severe spinal column pathologies.
Spineway USA is focused on increasing support to the surgeon and distributor with high quality devices at a financially affordable price, can you give us some insight into how you will accomplish these goals?
Yes, absolutely. Spineway USA’s executive team has made the commitment to transform into a “White Glove” medical device company with a focus on providing financially affordable technology. We have systematically reshaped the company’s approach and now focus on the increasing support surgeons require from distributors to provide high quality medical devices, while offering payors a financially affordable clinically proven technology. We have taken a number of steps to ensure our success:
- Build a network of expert leaders. Spineway USA, Inc., has developed a cadre of hands-on experts who have a deep understanding of the spine market and know how to create value.
- Revamp the governance model. We have revamped our leadership team, particularly the all-important leadership team that makes decisions about the initiation, progression, and termination of business. The new process emphasizes constructive engagement among leaders, surfacing of tough issues, fast decision making, and serving the interests of Spineway USA, Inc., and its partners.
- Follow the science. The company has also made changes in the ways that it manages and rewards solution solving, creating mechanisms that encourage partners to “follow the science”.
- Leverage external innovation. By seeking external partners to reinforce its overall transformation in direction, the company has been able to leverage the most promising new approaches to partnership enhancement.
- Encourage cross-functional cooperation. Finally, Spineway USA, Inc., created organizational mechanisms to increase cooperation across all functions and teams, giving more power to leaders responsible for determining the future of the company.
What does Spineway USA have for 2019?
We believe that by having a focused effort on our service model, these moves will pay off. Spineway USA, Inc., is in full growth mode, and I expect 2019 to be a break out year with its focus on providing “white glove” attention to detail.
Thanks for your time today Jon.
About Spineway USA
Spineway USA Inc is the principal subsidiary of Spineway SA, (Publicly traded French-based spinal manufacturer) dedicated to producing state-of-the-art medical devices and instrumentation to surgically treat various spinal pathologies. Spineway USA Inc., implants are FDA 510(k) cleared for use, completely Sterile packaged and complaint with new FDA regulations regarding UDI (Unique Device Identifier). Spineway USA strives to provide our technology to spine surgeons to improve the lives of the patient’s in their care. Spineway products are available in more than 40 countries.tries.The company was listed on the stock market for the first time on 13 February 2013 at the NYSE Alternext Paris under the symbol ALSPW.
For more information please contact us at (firstname.lastname@example.org)